- A couple, preparing to host a dinner party.
- Husband: “Darling, is there anything I can do besides bring in firewood?”
- Wife: “What, you’ll do anything other than that? You swine! Leaving all the heavy work to me!”
I love the trick words in our language.
Besides can mean other than OR in addition to — which are opposites-ish, right?
No wonder learning English is such a pain for people from other language groups.
Tomorrow I’ll head to Belarus for 10 days or so of humanitarian volunteer work with NewThing.net, where I’ll make my Russian-speaking friends a little bit crazy, because as you know, English is a complicated language.
Join the adventure by choosing one or more of these channels today:
- Your email inbox (use the Sign Up button) — updates about once a week
- Instagram — daily
- Facebook — daily
- Twitter — it’s random, to be honest
- The Web — uh… whatever
Next time I talk to you, Я буду в Минске!